Service Learning is a scheduled activity at a nonprofit organization, with a contact that can confirm your hours. Service learning must include both service and learning. You will use academic knowledge and skills to address genuine community needs.
What qualifies as service learning?
- Tutor at an after school program
- Volunteer at a hospital
- Help at a food pantry
- Work at a community garden
What doesn’t qualify as service learning
- Helping family members
- Work for free at a business
- Babysit for a neighbor
- Help a teacher clean their classroom
- Anything that you are paid to do
- Play on a sports team
- Attend a workshop
- Volunteer work with no learning goal
- Work with no reflection