1. When does school start?
For the most part, LYHS follows the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) calendar. However, there are variations with regard to professional development days, report card pick-up days, etc. For specific dates, please refer to the LYHS student handbook or this website.
2. Does LYHS require uniforms?
Yes. LYHS requires a uniform that consists of a maroon polo shirt with the school’s emblem and black or beige cotton pants. In addition, students are expected to come to school well-groomed, hair combed, dressed appropriately to support a learning environment free from distractions. All students must adhere to our dress code policy. Students are prohibited from the following on school grounds:
- Hats, baseball caps, bandanas or scarves
- Sagging pants; students must fasten their pants with a belt at the waist
- Clothing with gang symbols or inflammatory, suggestive or discriminatory language
- House shoes, flip-flops or slippers
- Shorts or mini-skirts (all skirts must be knee-length or longer)
- Jackets, hoodies, coats, or other outer-garments
- Clothing that exposes undergarments
- Clothes in color combinations of yellow, black or gold.
3. Is there free transportation to LYHS?
No, students are responsible for their own transportation to and from school. LYHS is accessible via the Pink line and is close to several bus routes.
Homeless or low-income students may be provided CTA passes through a partnership program between LYHS and Chicago Public Schools (CPS). Other low-income students with transportation needs may be provided with bus passes based on available funds. LYHS’s counseling and social services department reviews and approves all bus pass requests.
4. Does LYHS offer a hot lunch program?
Yes, LYHS offers a free cold breakfast and hot lunch program in collaboration with Chicago Public Schools (CPS) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
5. What are the expectations of parent involvement?
Parents are expected to be active participants in their child’s learning experiences. LYHS invites parents to monthly Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) meetings to learn about school news, upcoming events and explore opportunities for further involvement in school activities.
6. Does LYHS offer a formal graduation ceremony?
Yes, LYHS offers a formal graduation ceremony.
7. Does LYHS offer a formal Senior Prom?
Yes, LYHS, in conjunction with the Alternative Schools Network (ASN), offers a formal Senior Prom. Students must be in their senior year and in good academic and behavioral standing to be eligible to attend.