We are currently seeking an EL / ESL Teacher for the New Year
Position Summary: Under general supervision, the English Language Teacher, also known as the EL or ESL Teacher, serves as a specialist for students who are learning English as a second language. The EL teacher works in a program designed to provide direct English language development instruction in the classroom, small groups and/or individual student settings. In addition to this specific individualized instruction, the EL teacher will assist general education classroom teachers with the selection of appropriate curricula and the development of appropriate strategies to meet the unique needs of English Learners.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students as developing English learners.
- Demonstrates native-like and academic language abilities in Spanish and English across the four domains of language (listening, speaking, reading, and writing).
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Knowledge of English as a Second Language (ESL) strategies.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Coordinates and administers all EL screenings and ACCESS testing.
- Tracks the progress of all current and former EL students and works with the administration and general education classroom teachers to meet the unique educational needs of all students in the program.
- Maintains accurate, complete and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
Education / Experience: A valid Illinois Professional Educator’s License with an endorsement in either Bilingual Education (Spanish) or English as a Second Language (grades 9-12) and fluency in both English and Spanish is required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to our HR department at: firstname.lastname@example.org